Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Common Mode Noise

I have been evaluating the USB input of the Ayre QX-5 Twenty with the microRendo. I found the sound to be a bit dark and not particularly well defined in the mid bass and bass compared to what I was hearing from the Ethernet input. My friend suggested to me that there might be leakage currents / common mode noise involving my Sonore Signature Power Supply and the microRendu. He made a small filter to go inline with the power supply.

"He felt that if this common mode filter changes the sound, that's an indication that there are common mode noise currents flowing through the path that includes your power supply for the microRendu. No common mode noise currents, no change, because there is nothing to filter."

Using the filter, the sound improved by a significant amount just about matching the sound quality I was hearing with the Ethernet connection. My friend is now building an even better filter for me.

Check out the video at AudioStream:

CES 2017: A Conversation with Juergen Reis (MBL) and John Atkinson (Stereophile)

Juergen discusses the back door leakage currents that are found in the complete system that can effect our evaluation of cables and other components besides having a negative impact on the sound of our systems.

Edits: 01/24/17 01/24/17 01/24/17 01/24/17 01/24/17 01/24/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Common Mode Noise - Mercman 10:56:04 01/24/17 (63)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.