Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Just try Roon for yourself.

Roon offers a 14-day trial period, so just sign up, load it to your MacBook Pro, connect the Mac to your DAC via USB as you already do, and try it out! You just need to point it to your music library during setup and you will be ready to go.

You control music selection and output zone location ("endpoint") through the Roon iOS app.

And endpoints can be added wirelessly or through wired Ethernet. An endpoint's only task is to receive the Roon stream and output it.

All your Airplay-enabled devices (AppleTV, Airport Express, etc.) are automatically Roon endpoints so you can stream to them directly. I stream to my Yamaha and Marantz network receivers that have Airplay.

Roon also offers its "Roon Bridge" software for download that enables any PC or Mac to be an endpoint. I have a cheap (~$250) dedicated hp mini desktop computer in my main system running this software. It's connected to my DAC via USB. Other than the Raspberry Pi, which is a bit too DIY for me, this is the least expensive way to get a Roon endpoint that will pass high resolution PCM or DSD.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.