Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thank you so much Abe. I really am very grateful for all of this . . .

I spent some more time online figuring out Roon a bit more, as well as how sonicTransporter and microRendu work, and this morning I spoke with a friend who also uses Roon on a Mac Mini using Roon's control app on his devices. That is, his system fits your scenario #2. But your post more than anything so far pulls a lot of this together for me! So, I'm getting there, but I'm still struggling with some core questions, so with your permission I'll list a few more out for your consideration:

1. Among its other functions, isn't Roon a player itself like Pure Music and Audirvana Plus? Doesn't it bypass CoreAudio and stream the music files? In that case, why would you still use Audirvana Plus and how are the two compatible? Or am I wrong?

2. When you talk about a network and a network streamer, do you mean by ethernet only? On its website, Roon says to consider its RAAT function (transport) like "Airplay for audiophiles", but how can that be if it doesn't stream wirelessly? Our house is not wired with Ethernet connections in separate rooms. We only have ethernet ports on our cable modem and wireless router in a single room. For remote rooms, we've so far relied on Airplay (with its limitations) to stream wirelessly to an Apple TV and/or Express that are in turn connected to DACs by toslink or processors by HDMI. With Roon, would I continue to have to do that for remote rooms given our lack of ethernet connections to other rooms? In other words, I could only use it for your scenarios 1 and 2?

3. The microRenu has me scratching my head a bit. It's described as a "player", which I understand. But does it do anything other than receive a data stream by ethernet and convert it to a playable USB output for a DAC under a Roon controlled system? Can it be used as a server also or does it rely on an upstream computer?

4. Then there's the sonicTransporter, which seems like a nifty way to take a general purpose computer out of the audio system, but I gather it does not stream wirelessly. So, I am assuming that without an ethernet wired home, I could only use that server in a single room directly to a USB DAC. Is that right?

Thank you again a million times!
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

Edits: 01/16/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.