Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 as USB audio streamer - some audiophile settings to try...

His Dac and ADC presumably respond in the audio band. We as audio enthusiasts presumably care most about what is within the audible ranges.

If the theory us that these system changes are responsible for making changes in the audible noise profile then presumably having more ability to resolve noise within the audible band will help the test results be more useful regardless of whether or not his results are calibrated to some standard.

To say that the RMAA SNR testing results in this case has absolutely nothing to do with noise would seem a bit short sighted by my estimate.

The high res RMAA plots show evidence of what is almost certainly unintended emi creeping into the audible signal being sampled. Getting rid of it could make it easier to identify low level changes in noise profile which are within this systems ability to respond to it. Having the other noise sources gone from the picture could make it easier to identify low level changes if thy happen to cause system response that is made visible by the test.

Though the results certainly mean the most within the context of this test setup and can't easily be directly correlated to other systems, the relative differences could certainly be meaningful if they actually showed appreciable difference.

Meaningful in that if changes are detected by the test, other users could more reasonably wonder if similar changes might have some effect on their own systems.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.