Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Right - compared A+ with HQP and here's my impressions

It took a little while to get HQP up and running on my Mac. I got a prompt reply to my emails from Jussi and he sent some follow-up emails with filter suggestions. Full marks for that - this is very impressive customer service. This is just the demo version, but it did have some false starts when trying to play tracks. Jury's out on stability - I'm not commenting since it's entirely new to me and I'm not a software geek, I'm a musician.

First impression of HQP in default mode was of good vocals - smooth and pleasant. It didn't take long, however, for me to start missing some of the detail and definition in the orchestral parts in the Janacek opera excerpts I was comparing. The individual instruments - strings, wind instruments etc - were somewhat muffled and lacked both attack and timbral definition. The more I listened the more alarmed I got. I switched back and fore and however euphonic the overall sound of HQPlayer undoubtedly is, the detail and focus of inner parts and low level detail isn't what you can get in Audirvana+.

I'm going to regret not having the pleasant sound to vocals in HQPlayer - they did sound less sharp. But..... the whole sound was less sharp. So after comparing about 5 tracks including some Kim Burrell and Claire Martin I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with A+. It's not perfect but I haven't heard anything better yet. It has the best level of overall musicality and that's what counts for me - I listen to a lot of opera and orchestral detail and timbre is not negotiable!

I haven't, however, had time yet to try out Jussi's other filter recommendations, so this may not be the last word. I also have Audirvana 1.5.12 and it may be the case that Ver 2.0 has better SQ again. But that's my preliminary impressions.

Can anyone else give me a direct comparison between A+ and HQP? I'd like to hear other listeners' impressions, particularly on orchestral and opera.

Edits: 12/19/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.