Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Dirac Live

Agreed. Dirac appears to be one of the easiest to use Room EQ packages, though it is still quite comprehensive and powerful. It has delivered very positive results for me a several friends.

It does not require great skill, and the user instructions are pretty good. But, here are a few things to apply for best results:

- suppress ambient noise in the room as much as possible, including turning off HVAC systems during the calibration. If possible, take yourself out of the room or duck behind the seats except during mike repositioning.

- use a floor mounted mike tripod with boom to reach over seating surfaces. They are not expensive. Do not place the mike on your chair or sofa. I also place absorbent blankets on chair backs and seating surfaces, especially if they are relatively hard, like leather.

- point the mike straight up at the ceiling so that it can gather as much direct energy from the speakers and reflected energy from the room as possible. Omni mikes are not perfectly omnidirectional, especially at the bottom, but they are pretty good in their upper hemisphere.

- vary the mike positions somewhat both horizontally and vertically during the calibration, per the instructions, starting at ear height for the first mike position.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dirac Live - Fitzcaraldo215 08:19:41 10/21/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.