Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

With regard to your signature line

Just how loudly can a healthy young man shout?

I would guess somewhere between 85 and 90 decibels.

The loudest stadiums in the NFL have been measured at about 130 to 135 decibels.

Opposing teams playing in these stadiums use a so called "silent count." That is because they fully expect the healthy young players on their team to be unable to hear their quarterback shouting at the top of his lungs when his voice is -45 to -50dB down in the noise.

As a practical matter, that means professional football teams fully expect that their players cannot hear -45dB into a sound signal.

You can try this out yourself by using the test tracks in Audio Diffmaker. From my experience, it is difficult to hear which of the tracks has the brass band mixed into the boys' choir. (But not always!) However, once you use the software to extract the difference, the brass band becomes obvious.

Strangely enough, no one in this asylum seems to be willing to simply listen to these tracks and report back on what they hear. Indeed, there seems to be a correlation between those who claim that nothing or next to nothing results in a huge change in audio enjoyment and those who reject the audio diffmaker challenge.

I'll leave the reader to their own conclusion.

I will also leave it to the reader to wonder why we should worry about differences -90dB or more down while no one in this asylum is willing to come on board to show us they can hear differences -50 or -60dB down by taking the Audio Diffmaker challenge.

They will always fling up some sort of flimsy excuse when all we are asking is to listen to two tracks of a choir singing Brahm's lullaby. One track has had added to it a brass band playing a John Sousa march. Can you tell which is which? I'll bet you can not. I'll also bet the "golden ears" here can not either. That's why they won't even listen to the tracks.

Remember this when the golden ears tell you that you should worry about differences that are more the -70dB down.

JE

Edits: 10/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.