Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I just couldn't live without Tidal

I can live without Tidal. However, at this point, when my one month free trial expires (just signed up Friday), I'll likely continue my subscription.

First impressions:
- Foremost, the sole reason I'm using Tidal over Spotify is because Tidal streams in 1411 Kbps and Spotify in 320 Kbps. However, I am still comparing the two side by side for differences in quality.

- So far, Spotify seems to have a larger catalog of the music I like. However, I am impressed with Tidal's selection too, and this is contradictory to some of the opinions I've read on the Internet.

- To me, and while very similar to Tidal, Spotify has a sleeker, more attractive, and simpler interface. It's just more pleasant, and easier to use.

- When I open each, Tidal clutters my screen with more adds and music suggestions that I have absolutely no interest in (see pic below - Spotify left, Tidal right). Not the best photo, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

- Seems to me that Tidal is focused on attracting a much younger demographic. As such, I find Tidal to be a bit obnoxious and irritating (I'm 44 years old).

- Spotify natively and seamlessly allows me to login on my Windows 10 PC and iPad concurrently. Tidal allows this too, however, with Spotify I can choose the music output from my iPad. Simply put, with Spotify (from my iPad) I can choose my PC as my output instantly making my iPad the perfect remote control for my PC-based sound system. If you are controlling Tidal from your iPad, you are forced to listen to Tidal from your iPad, that is unless a third party program is installed. I am currently using VNC, which allows me to control my desktop from my iPad. It works, but is a bit clumsy and adds a layer of extra effort between me and the music. All over the Internet, to include Facebook, people are screaming for this functionality in Tidal. https://www.facebook.com/Tidal/posts/1598197463764831.
18 March 2015, "ability to control TIDAL from your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet to control TIDAL, is a function we are very keen to integrate into TIDAL, in fact it is high on our Product Team's agenda. The team has been working very hard to deliver this functionality." Given that this statement (according to a Facebook post, and not validated by me) was apparently released a year and a half ago, it doesn't sound as though it's the priority they claim.

- Another plus for Spotify is their half price, premium service offering for students. While enrolled in school, I'm receiving the $10 Spotify premium service for $5.

Does Spotify treat their customers better than Tidal? I'm not sure as I'm brand new to both. However, thus far my first impressions have me leaning towards yes. Bottom line, if Spotify were to offer 1411 Kbps streaming today, I would drop Tidal like a 100-pound sack of potatoes.

Edits: 10/09/16 10/09/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.