Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: USB vs S/PDIF

This is my take on the matter. Other than Apple's built-in S/PDIF digital optical output, a Toslink output jack is not a common thing for PCs, so the use of a USB port is the only option for digital audio output in that case. Using a USB to S/PDIF converter still involves a USB port, so it's questionable if that approach is even possible to be superior vs. a USB to USB interface, whether asynchronous or not. I can understand how attractive it is for audiophiles to travel down the rabbit hole of USB when it can offer higher resolution playback vs. S/PDIF, but a listener must ask themselves how important it is to use a noisy USB port originally intended for computer peripherals rather than high-performance audiophile applications. The decision is not difficult when you consider the previous audiophile matter of Red Book CD vs. SACD. Just how important SACD vs. 44.1/16 Red Book CD was/is to a listener can be a good analogy in this case.

Prior to the onrush of the popularity of computer audio servers, configuring a high-performance Red Book CD digital front end was my only interest when it came to any digital audio application. SACD was never an interest of mine, but I fully understood why other listeners took it so seriously, and that perspective still continues in the realm of computer audio servers. So if hi-rez digital audio is a key factor, USB is the only way forward at this time. Compromise is a common thing in the audiophile world, and in this case, a compromised USB port vs. a lower resolution S/PDIF digital optical output are the only computer audio options, at this time.

From my perspective, even though it can be of great convenience, a computer is a necessary evil for audio purposes, not unlike how I considered digital CDs vs. vinyl albums back in the days when I refused to switch to digital audio vs. an old-school phono set-up. It wasn't until vinyl records became more and more awful sounding due to digital masters not transferring well to vinyl made me concede to even buying a CD player years after its introduction to the audio marketplace. Fortunately, digital audio is far more acceptable to my ear after many years of development, but I still have greater fondness towards the golden years of vinyl vs. digital audio in any form, but there's no going back now that the cat is out of the bag.

In a nutshell, while my attitude and approach is against the prevailing trends, I simply want a Red Book quality digital signal to exit my computer as straightforward as possible via S/PDIF digital optical, then optimize the Toslink interface by the use of a Monarchy Audio DIP (Digital Interface Processor) for jitter reduction and then conversion to an S/PDIF digital coaxial interface, or AES/EBU digital interface, which can be used with any DAC that features the corresponding digital input jacks. Other than an effective power line conditioner, an audiophile-quality power cord for my iMac computer, and a Lifatec Silflex glass Toslink cable, I pay much more attention to what happens to the audio signal after it leaves a computer than potential audiophile benefits of hi-rez audio via USB.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.