Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: CAUTION!!!! Download speed waring!!!

If available, I would try to find another ISP. However, I know that depending on where you live your options can be very limited. I go through Comcast/Xfinity and have 100mbps/unlimited download. Regardless, research your provider and know your plan, and ask others what they pay. I've been at the introductory rate of $90 for over three years now. Each year they raise it to $150, I call and threaten to cancel, and they leave it at $90 for another year.

Story. When I first signed up for Comcast/Xfinity, we had to wait almost two weeks and pay $70 for a tech to come out and get us hooked up. Our internet was so slow it was unusable. I checked our download speed at www.speedtest.net and we were at less than 1mbps! I did some research and found a great article.

Gist of article:
- ISP-provided equipment is garbage, and they rent it to you ($9 monthly in our case).
- You don't need their equipment (wireless router and cable modem).
- Go to Amazon and buy the ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem $69.95 and a good wireless router.
- Remove their equipment/install your equipment.
- Call ISP to register your new cable modem.
- Return ISP equipment to ISP, and tell them to stop charging you to rent it.
- Check your bill for a few months to ensure they stopped charging you.
- Tell you friends.

After I did this, I consistently hit between 90 and 100+mbps download on speedtest.net. Again, I went from less than 1mbps to between 90 and 100+mbps download. My surfing is nearly instantaneous and downloads scream. Also, not paying the equipment rental will pay for the new equipment in a little over year (depending on the router you buy). Had I known this, I could have avoided the two week wait, the $70 installation fee, and been up and running in a few days.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.