Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: NiMH battery packs on my microRendu streamer - pics

Fire? You're probably thinking of Lithium-Ion (Li) or Lithium-Ion Polymer (LiPo or Li-Poly) batteries. I'm using NiMH batteries.

The material within NiMH batteries is inherently non-flammable which is not the case for any Lithium types including the Lithium Iron Phosphate family (LiFePO4, LiFeSO4). Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFe) types are considered to be much safer than Li-ion and Li-Poly but they still have shipping restrictions for good reason.

However, "NiMH batteries are considered to be "Dry cell" batteries and are unregulated for purposes of transportation by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), International Civil Aviation Administration (ICAO), International Air Transport Association (IATA) and International Maritime Dangerous Goods Regulations (IMDG)." Not so for batteries in the Lithium family.

ANY battery can be a fire hazard if improperly handled, charged or discharged.

Any fully charged battery can only dissipate overcharge energy as heat. My 10Ah NiMH battery has a thermal cutoff circuit but at the 1-Amp charge current that I use on it, the battery barely gets warm during charge. It's spec'd for up to a 3-Amp charge current. I charge at 1/3 of that rating. Additionally, the smart charger shuts off once the battery is fully charged.

At a discharge current of only 0.25-Amps for my microRendu & DAC, the 10Ah NiMH battery doesn't get warm at all. The battery is rated for up to 30-Amps of discharge current. I am 120x below the maximum current spec.

I am not worried at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: NiMH battery packs on my microRendu streamer - pics - AbeCollins 14:46:16 10/03/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.