Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Mac sounds impressive to me

I am using Audirvana to upsample Tidal streams to 24bit 384khz, very impressive.

My DAC is supposed to do DXD but I can only go up to 24bit. I see there is an OS update available to 10.14. I may want to try that to see if that can fix that issue.

If I can compare it to my Daphile Linux system, Mac sounds softer and more pleasant, almost fluffy euphoric sound. Smoother and not as hard digital sounding.

Looks like I'll be pretty impressed. I initially bought the Mac for multitrack recording using Reaper, but it also makes an impressive transport, very fun machine.

I only intend to use this Machine for music recording and music playback.

Thanks for your input Abe, this was something I've been thinking about, last Mac I had was a G4 PowerBook 13 years ago. A lot has changed I see since they've moved to the Intel chips.

The guy at the store told me there's rumors about an update to Mac hardware coming, no details but it anticipated soon?

I'm still navigating my way through this, only thing I believe is I'll need more storage eventually, but I can just backup with a USB HDD, plenty of them laying around. I don't like that I don't have the OS backed up, not sure how that works if I can download it to a USB stick or something. I didn't sign up to their care service, figure if it was a dud it wouldn't work out of the box. Works ok in my eyes, kind of worried about only 8gb of ram but I'll deal.

Edits: 09/03/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.