Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

No Computer in my listening room

I agree with the premise that full blown computers do not belong in the listening room. I see no reason for them to be there. The added cost of specialized "quiet" machines, even DIY, or specialized packaged servers seems wasted to me given the alternatives. That money is better spent on a superior DAC, in my opinion.

So, my clunky, noisy computer tower is in the next room, just a few more steps to walk if I want to play something on its optical drives, which is only occasional. My TV in the room shows me my desktop and a wireless keyboard gives me full control of the computer when necessary. Library playback from my NAS is normally controlled by an iPad via wifi. Why do I need to look at the computer tower itself in the listening room? For show? I just do not need to see it or touch it 98% of the time. It could be anywhere else as far as I am concerned, just like my NAS, network switches, etc. The noise is banished.

Are there horrible problems due to added USB and HDMI cable length, 15 ft. through a small hole in the wall? No, none. The system sounds and looks fabulous. I am quite happy.

Small streamers also are not necessary or desirable for me, as they all come with restrictions, like no room EQ, etc., due to their resource limitations. I only want one good listening room and system in my home. I just listen to FM radio for music elsewhere in the house.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.