Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yes - I've seen from your posts how spellbound you are by hardware

The thing we have to remember is that, with digital processing of ANY kind, we're dealing with discrete values (1's and 0's). So when any kind of "noise" (or, if you will, "garbage") gets into the system, it only becomes a problem when it exceeds a (pretty generous) threshold. IOW, additional noise (unless it's a substantial amount) is NOT going to change the value of the bits being processed - this is one of the big advantages of digital and it's the reason that all of our systems today (financial systems, etc.) have converted to digital. It's more accurate and less prone to problems. Moreover, the transmission of digital data just doesn't get corrupted as easily. So I can be using garbage quality hardware, and the data transmission (to my DAC for instance) is still just fine.

I guess you could say that my garbage tolerance is pretty high - as long as the right bits in the right order get through unscathed!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.