Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Benchmark weighs in on MQA

I agree. I am open-mindedly interested in MQA, and I think I understand much, though far from all, of the theory and research behind it. Also, based on his track record, I see no rational reason to believe that Bob Stuart is a charlatan. I also think that MQA's ultimate success in the market is not a slam dunk at all.

I also strongly agree that MQA absolutely must coexist with other non-MQA DSP functions in our systems. Stuart did address this question briefly in his long response at CAForum. But, I still have lingering concerns about the details.

From Stuart's response there, it seems MQA could be made to work in a digital HT processor and still allow the processor to do bass management, room EQ, etc. Basically, the processor does the MQA origami unfolding to hi rez LPCM, then applies DSP, then passes it off to the MQA DAC stage. But, it far is less clear what would happen in a PC environment, even if there were an open PC codec to perform the origami unfolding.

Digital crossovers requiring multiple DAC's would seem extremely difficult if not impossible while using MQA "de blurring" DACs. Fortunately, digital crossovers are not in my plans.

Edits: 08/17/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.