Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: New iMac, now what?

I have an iMac with external FireWire 800 drive located in a corner alcove of my listening room, and use a 35 foot Toslink cable to run the signal via digital optical output across the listening room. But rather than connecting the Toslink cable directly to the DAC, I connect it to a Monarchy Audio DIP (Digital Interface Processor) for jitter reduction, signal conditioning, conversion from digital optical to digital electrical interface, then to the DAC via a short-length 0.5 meter AES/EBU digital cable. Careful selection of a Toslink cable that will pass signal 35 feet away is vital (a 35 foot Monoprice Premium Toslink Cable is surprisingly good), and if an even longer distance is required, an active (not passive) splitter/repeater can be used to extend the distance without sonic degradation if an audiophile quality linear power supply is implemented for the active splitter/repeater device. As for a controller, I run a 35 foot HDMI cable for *video only" across the room (Toslink for audio), and use a wireless mouse and keyboard as a controller.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New iMac, now what? - Duster 13:20:39 07/24/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.