Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Have to wait as the only 'real' computer in the house these days....

I'm not sure I understand your question.

- Does your router have just one Ethernet output jack?

- Does it also do Wifi, or not?

If it does Wifi you're covered there for your wireless needs including iPad as a remote control for the Remote App, Roon, or whatever you use.

To get more Ethernet ports all you need is an inexpensive multiport Gigabit Ethernet switch. Run the output from the Ethernet on your router to one of the jacks on the switch. You can then 'fan out' multiple outputs from the switch to various locations in your home. I have a cheapie Cisco 8-port Gigabit switch that I bought a few years ago. Looks like this:

There might be a newer version and you get them in various port counts, 8,16, whatever. And there are several other decent brands out there for simple unmanaged switches. The other option that you -might- consider is Power over Ethernet (PoE) if you plan to run Ethernet video cameras or other devices that can get their power over the Ethernet cable rather having its own power supply / wall wart. These switches may cost a bit more, some will have several "regular" Ethernet ports and designate a few as PoE capable. Not important unless you foresee and application that will benefit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.