Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Any hope for Linux sound(revisited)?

There is no such thing like "Linux Sound".

All operating systems, related flavors, software and related settings, HW and your home environment will all cause a different "sound-signature"

The related "noise-floor" and "distortions" will never be equal!!!!!

If you'd just change the OS variable:
If you'd go all the way down to the bottom (maximum tweaking), you'd realize that all these different OS setups come very close.
Linux offers a lower bottom though. You basically "can" tweak everything.
If you do is a different thing.

If you still get trapped by "marketing" terms like "Audiophile Linux" it's your problem. If you'd look under the hood, you'd get pretty disappointed
to see of whats'd being offered.
That's even worse on Windows or OSX and related applications, which won't even let you look under the hood.
And exactly that puts them into a position to pull big money out of your "audiophile" pocket.

Anyhow:
You won't get around tweaking any of your installations if you look for the best setup.
It doesn't matter if we talk about Windows, OSX or Linux.
The tweaking never ends though. Every HW and/or software change or upgrade can cause a step-back and requires new tuning.

However:
There's a basic rule to keep in mind that applies to pretty much all installations since we're discussing this stuff over here - since about ten years:
The more features, the less top quality sound can be expected.
That applies to HW and SW.
What matters is minimum features at maximum quality.

Software providers who want to be successful (selling licenses) have to deliver features, many features - feature quantity beats sound-quality.
Numerous features go hand in hand with numerous compromises.
And that's another problem in this discussion.

Therefore I just build my own OS and own player nowadays.
And every time I get a new DAC or computer or run software upgrades I have to revisit my setup.

If you're happy with Windows and you want to keep a PC, stay with it. You'll not be the only one.
Any you'll not be the only one who has to eat what's on the table.("audiophile software")

In my case, on my system, neither Windows nor any other "audiophile" OS software have the slightest chance to stay.

You might consider to buy a better DAC which doesn't respond to OS/player setups and different PC HW that much. Makes live much easier.

And finally:

I'd rephrase the thread: "Any hope for You to get along with Linux???"

I'd say "NO".

Enjoy. Enjoy your Windows on a PC. Good old times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

blog latest >> The Audio Streaming Series - tuning kit pCP

Edits: 07/12/16 07/12/16 07/12/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.