Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Streaming music doesn't require 'huge' bandwidth...

when streaming to an OS-X (or Windows) player with cache/buffer to load tracks into.

SONOS is a different issue. Both of my SONOS systems are now wired via ethernet and I still am experiencing drop-outs at certain times of day when streaming Lossless FLAC (mp3 like Spotify and internet radio works fine). I suspect, but do no know for certain, that it is because the SONOS does not buffer tracks for playback and just steams continuously.

ATT U-Vers, while officially 'fast' enough for audio or even watching movies for that matter (15 Mbps on average) is not a 'continuous' stream when others in the neighborhood are streaming movies. Lots of starts and stops. You can see that on the QOBUZ player as it tries to load tracks while playing Lossless Flac. It will load about 1/3 of the track and just STOP for a few seconds. Even ClassicsOnlineHD (Hi Rez) takes about 5-10 seconds to load enough of a track to start playing and depending on time of day also has problem and that's using the app on a computer which has plenty of memory to cache the whole track.

Worse, ATT U-Verse is not choking down total data with caps for those who do not agree to sign up for their TV bundles.

So now the wife can go crazy with AMAZON Prime on our ROKU TV without any worries about data caps.

First they came for the dumb-asses
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a dumb-ass

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.