Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: SQ improvement questions

I like the way HQPlayer sounds. I dislike it's user interface.

I'll say right up front that I AM hearing improvements with HQPlayer on my Mac Mini directly driving my USB DAC. That is in direct comparison to my other setup running AV+ or PM on the same hardware configuration.

The system always sounded excellent to me but HQPlayer has taken it up a notch. It's more noticeable to me than the HW tweaks like the Regen, Intona USB Isolator, AQ Jitterbug, and a couple different USB cables..... in my system. YMMV of course.

I tinkered with HQPlayer in the past but quickly threw it out w/o giving it serious consideration because I felt that the user interface and library management were too clunky.

I brought HQPlayer back into my setup AFTER experimenting with Roon. I'm starting to really enjoy the Roon user interface. AND.... Roon integrates with HQPlayer so I set HQPlayer for the sonics I want then use Roon for it's user interface.

So yes, HQPlayer sounds great! You may be OK with it's user interface and library management. These are personal preferences. It works. But if you need something different you can always use Roon (for a price!) to 'front-end' HQPlayer and never have to look at HQPlayer again after setting it up for the sound you want.

The other consideration with HQPlayer is the processing power of your PC/Mac. I found that PCM to PCM up conversion (say 44.1KHz to 192KHz) doesn't take a lot of processing power. Since your current DAC doesn't handle DSD this should be a non-issue. On the fly realtime PCM to DSD conversion consumes more compute resources.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.