Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: PCM - DSD Conversion On PS Audio NuWave DSD Possibilities.

The NuWave DSD DAC does not internally convert PCM to DSD. It handles everything in it's native format and will play DSD over PCM (DoP) depending on how your player software is setup.

BTW, I love the way this DAC sounds so much that I recently sold my Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC. Both are excellent. The PS Audio is actually slightly more to my liking and it costs less.

I don't use JRiver but I have used Audirvana Plus, and presently using Roon. In both Audirvana Plus and Roon there are software settings for how to handle DSD playback. Assuming you're going over USB choose "DSD over PCM" (DoP), and that should work.

I have it setup that way in Roon and it seamlessly switches modes when it encounters a DSD file, and it illuminates the DSD LED on my NuWave DSD DAC.

I am not presently running Audirvana Plus but below is a screen shot from Audirvana Preferences > Audio System. Under the Native DSD pull-down menu try Automatic first. See if that works. If not, try DSD over PCM 1.0, or DSD over PCM 1.1. You may need to quit then relaunch AV+ for your changes to take effect. Also, my version of Audirvana Plus may be older than yours but the general idea is the same.

As for Audio Midi Setup, it's not necessary to set the sample rate to any specific value as these players will do that for you. However, you do want to Right-Click on the PS Audio DAC then choose "Use this Device for Sound Output". Additionally, Right-Click on Built-in Output and choose "Play alerts and sound effects through this device". This is a nice feature as system sounds will go to the Macs internal speaker while your music alone goes through your DAC.

Example AV+ screen shot for setting up how it handles DSD

My NuWave DSD DAC playing back a DSD file. Select USB with the front panel buttons.
The DSD LED will illuminate automatically when the DAC encounters a DSD file. You do not
manually choose DSD with the buttons on the DAC front panel.

Edits: 07/03/16 07/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.