Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Cost/price of a "generic" Audiostream Syrah-like server

I will acknowledge that serving music files from a "clean"/minimal-install/etc. PC *seems* better, here. But only to a point, again here. Don't need to go to a whole lot of trouble before I reach the point of no difference.*

IOW for others with better systems it may be worth going farther with cleaning up the file server as far as software goes. I don't see how the hardware will matter that much as long as it's "adequate". Poor SW choices can really degrade HW performance though. And assuming your server is not directly connected to your DAC, otherwise HW matters.

That Faraday cage sounds pretty enticing. Also a dedicated line from the power plant.

*Edit: in my case, just rebooting the (non-dedicated) PC before starting the music server SW gave me almost all the improvement I was going to get. I do not start any processes intentionally after Win startup besides anti-virus stuff.

Rebooting in a "safe" mode with minimal regular stuff running didn't make any diff that I could tell, it was slightly more awkward to get everything running for the server SW, and I deemed it not worth it though it is theoretically preferable.

Edits: 06/23/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Cost/price of a "generic" Audiostream Syrah-like server - cfraser 16:13:50 06/22/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.