Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

A simple approach not requiring thousand of dollars

Quote from review:

''The Syrah Server
The dedicated server has a number of technical advantages over the use of a multi-purpose computer. By eliminating the many background process that are unnecessary for music reproduction, superior music reproduction can be obtained.

I asked Andres to comment why he felt Playback Designs needed to introduce a dedicated server to advance playback capabilities of the products in his new Sonoma Series:

"A computer is general purpose and therefore needs all the facilities, storage, bandwidth, memory, CPU speed etc. to perform and unimaginable amount of tasks that the user may ask for. If all we want to do is play audio files and load them into the system, then we can minimize the system dramatically, down to a point where there won't be a need for a cooling fan, and where the CPU is not busy servicing unnecessary tasks etc. The system becomes small, cool, quiet and less taxiing on the CPU. These are all features that have an effect ultimately on the sound quality.''

Some of us have been saying this for years, even well before cMP. You can actually strip down a $200 4 core fanless PC running from a linear supply without spending more than $500. The process is not difficult but yields vastly improved sound quality over an overloaded though powerful PC.

Equally some inmates have consistently rejected this idea and have gone for 'Ultimate Pro' types of PCs with 16G Ram loaded with multple' optimising' software and hardware.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A simple approach not requiring thousand of dollars - fmak 00:03:22 06/17/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.