Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

It will...

Inasmuch as it will play any PCM or DSD file.

However, the MQA file needs to be "unfolded" prior to HQPlayer if you want expanded HF information, which will require a software decoder ahead of HQP. To wit, Jussi has not shown any interest in a plugin for that functionality; and why would he? An folded MQA file can be played though HQPlayer as a 24/48 or 24/44.1 file of course and the dithering used in the container will have no impact on HQPlayer functionality; it will play like any other PCM file would and you can filter and process it it as you wish but it will not have extended HF. An unfolded file can be processed using all of HQPlayer's various filters and functionality and will have extended HF.

I suspect that Roon integrating TIDAL will be the front-end you seek for MQA playback through HQPlayer as I suspect that Roon or at least TIDAL will get software decoding with a selection of a few DAC filters. As it stands, MQA wants to choose a filter for the data prior to the DAC based on the DAC transfer function in order to optimize the impulse response. But that is generally impractical and will yield a few generic filters that apply to TI, AKM and AD dacs selectable in software, since the end-to-end model is ridiculous in today's world.

Edits: 06/13/16 06/13/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It will... - PaulN 21:24:29 06/13/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.