Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Why is the physical placement of NAS changing the sound???

here's how the system is configured:

If I'm reading your note correctly, your setup is:

NAS > switch > [LAN isolator] > sotm NAA > [USB isolator] > DAC.

The NAS and switch are on an untreated mains supply, the sotm and the DAC have basic filtering. The digital bits (NAS, switch) are sited fairly close to the audio bits and, presumably, powered from the same circuit.

My first guess (no more) would be that noise is getting through your mains filter - it's certainly worth doing a few quick checks. Why that should vary the sound when you stick footers under the NAS is anybody's guess but no-one who has grappled with issues like these pretends there's anything rational about them.

Try e.g. connecting the NAS and switch via your conditioner. If you can beg, borrow or DIY another filter, try it on the digital side, analogue as was. Check that the surround system is unplugged when testing the audio, not just on "standby". Try siting the NAS and switch as far away as practicable from the sotm adapter (different room?) and running a stock cable between the two. Try siting the LAN isolator at one end of that cable and then the other. And so on.

You have good kit - I'd be confident it will respond to the effort involved in improving your mains supply.

HTH

D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.