Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Why is the physical placement of NAS changing the sound???

and I think I've seen/heard it all....

While doing my regular check on my NAS (a QNAP 469L), I found that it's CPU temp is a wee bit higher than I would like, so I decided to prop it up a little with some cheap metal feet with foam inserts in order to give it a little more breathing space. FYI, the NAS is connected to a Buffalo giga switch which is connected to an SOTM SMS-100 and a TP-Link router. The NAS's location is where it had been all along, before and after the footers, and nothing else had been touched

To my surprise, the sound changed a little after I put in the feet. A tiny bit lighter and not as energetic. Not something that I like. So I took the feet back out and the sound seems to be back. I'm not trying to discuss the merits or not of these feet. What I'm getting at is that this should not be happening at all. Digital, packet based data, being so far away in the audio chain, it should not reasonably have experienced any change at all, even in the eyes of this audiophile (as gullible as we audiophiles are).

Other than suggesting that I'm losing my sanity (which has a certain probability), any speculation of what might have happened?

Cheers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Why is the physical placement of NAS changing the sound??? - eduardoo 00:23:10 05/24/16 (58)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.