Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Trying something different...

I have two desktop system and the older unit (Core i7-3700) is configured with an Asus HDAV 1.3 PCIe sound card feeding a Corsair SP-2500 2.1 powered speaker set. The newer unit (Core i7-5820) was "burdened" with an el cheapo powered two-speaker Krator Neso N2-20036 (18wpc).

The Krator's were cheap and, at the time, they were bought as a stop-gap.

Recently, I decided it was time to do something about the Krators as they really didn't float my boat.

A mate had just bought a TriPath amp for a bedroom system and was waxing lyrical about its performance, so I nipped 'round to check it out. Nice and compact, it seemed like an excellent option for use with a desktop PC - partnered with a pair similarly compact bookshelf speakers.

After some research, I found a pair of NOS Acoustic Energy Compact 1 speakers going for a good price on a classifieds forum and bought them.

The picture should give some idea of the size of these babies (9" x 6" x 8" - HWD). I kicked their tyres by hooking them up to the study system (Bryston BCD-1 feeding an Electrocompaniet PI-2 100wpc integrated) and they did not disgrace themselves. Yes, the bass extension was limited by the enclosure size, but the rest of the spectrum was very nicely handled.

After some further research, I found a more attractive amp (not TriPath-based but one that uses ST Microelectronics STA-326) which delivers 40wpc and provides for 3 digital inputs (USB; Toslink S/PDIF; Coaxial S/PDIF). This amp - Topping's VX2 - is also a very compact (about the size of a standard format paperback novel of ~450 pages).

This unit was not available locally and is still on its way - expected in a week's time....

In theory, this combo should be an ideal approach to adding reasonable sound to a PC - and from a neat and compact setup that doesn't gobble up desktop real estate.

I'll keep my thumbs crossed that the VX2 does not disgrace itself... :)

PS: If the worst comes to the worst and the combination's lack of bass extension is unacceptable, I still have a spare subwoofer gathering dust...)
DevillEars

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Trying something different... - DevillEars 12:51:05 05/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.