Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I'm playing with some ultracaps - pics

The Agilent LPS is a laboratory grade bench power supply with instrumentation that I use whenever I need a general purpose LPS for experimentation. My main LPS for the Mac Mini is a 10-Amp unit from TeraDak.

The setup that I photographed was to show an example of ultracaps in use. The Agilent LPS alone will not bootup my Mac Mini. The Agilent LPS is rated for an absolute maximum of 5.50-Amps and will safely shut itself down if a device draws more current than that. Because the Mini draws around 7-Amps for a brief period of time (1 or 2 seconds) during bootup, the Agilent shuts itself down and the Mini will not boot.

With ultracaps in the conditioner box pre-charged and attached to the Agilent LPS, the Mini is able to fully boot up as the ultracaps augment the available power from the Agilent helping it to get over it's 5.50-Amp limitation. After bootup the current demand rapidly tapers down to around 1-Amp stead state.

The ultracap conditioner that I photographed is made by MFJ and a typical use for this device is with HAM Radio transceivers that can draw peak currents of upwards of 20 - 25 Amps when transmitting. This would normally not be a problem in a mobile installation if the transceiver is wired directly to the car battery. However, most automotive 12v accessory sockets (cigarette lighter jack) are not rated to supply more than 10-Amps. The ultracap box allows one to run the transceiver off the 10-Amp cigarette lighter jack in communications modes that are not 100% duty cycle. Examples would include CW Morse code (~45% duty cycle) and SSB voice communications (~20% - 30% duty cycle).

In this case, the ultracaps also helped the Agilent LPS get over the 5.50-Amp "hump" in booting the Mac Mini and they provide additional filtering.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.