Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Auralic Aries Mini or Marantz NA6005 ?

One feature I really appreciate with the Aries Mini is support for the OpenHome DLNA extensions, in particular on-device playlists. Because the playlist is maintained on the player, you can close the control point app without interrupting playback. One of the really annoying things about most iOS DLNA control point apps is that if you switch to another app on the iPhone/iPad, the control point app is suspended and can't tell the player to play the next track when the time comes, so the music stops. This has happened to me with every non-OpenHome control point app on iOS.

On Android, which supports real multi-tasking, I've used the BubbleUPnP control point app which stays running in the background to keep the music playing. It's possible the Marantz Android app does this too, but I haven't played much with it since I strongly prefer BubbleUPnP with non-OpenHome players.

Also, with players and control points that support OpenHome, you can switch back and forth between different control points without interruption or losing a playlist. This is useful in cases where I start out using an iPad, cue up a bunch of songs, and then my wife or kid runs off with it. Then I'll just grab my Android phone, open a different OpenHome control point app, and I'll see the playlist I cued up with the other app.

Another point in favor of the Aries Mini is Tidal.
Conversely, the Marantz has Spotify.

I would expect the Marantz to have better sound too, but I haven't heard it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Auralic Aries Mini or Marantz NA6005 ? - Dave_K 05:57:54 05/18/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.