Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Who else is using ultracaps ?

It appears to me that the use of ultracap based power for audio applications isn't entirely new. Swenson mentions the Vinnie Rossi LIO component system. Blue Circle has been shipping their BC-109 ultracap powered linestage since around 2010. The benefit of using ultracaps in audio applications is well known. Car audio enthusiasts have been using large ultracaps to augment automotive 12v systems for years, mainly for transient current demand.

The R&D effort and complexity of the LPS-1 revolves mostly around bank switching and charging of the ultracaps. Additionally, it supports a wide range of DC input voltage for charging and provides 3 output voltages. So in this respect it is unique and versatile. But it is the ultracap itself that offers the core benefit of such a power supply design.

In the case of Blue Circle, they do not do ultracap bank switching but the AC mains are completely removed from the BC-109 linestage during operation, realizing the full benefit of utracaps in powering the linestage.

I wonder what other audio manufacturers are using utracaps as their primary power source.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.