Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks-Where does the ethernet cable to the Rendu originate?

Where does the ethernet cable to the Rendu originate?

I've had a setup similar to the Rendu for several years now which I based on suggestions on this forum from John Swenson and others but have taken a long way since. (See link though ignore the monitor and other crud.) Even though my home-brew system works very well and, though I say so myself, sounds excellent, I'm sure the Rendu is a step up from that.

Think of the Rendu as an external soundcard connected to a desktop computer or similar via Ethernet. The computer doesn't have to be - preferably isn't - in your listening room. (Big plus for me.) It can be a Mac or a PC, a desktop or a laptop (a NAS even) and can be controlled using a keyboard, monitor and mouse as normal or a tablet or a phone or whatever the thumb-twiddling adolescent's device of the week happens to be. Call it a music server as that sounds good and is more or less correct. (I'm writing this note on a "server" which is also passing data to my music system, my Rendu-Precursor, as it were.

The program you use to control the setup - again, lots of choices and acronyms aplenty - allows you to select your digitised CD (or other source for those as likes them) and passes the music data from the server to the Rendu.

The Rendu in turn passes it to the DAC via a high-quality USB port. It has been designed to do one simple task but to do it very well, way better than a general-purpose computer ever could - precision timing, whisper-quiet power supplies, ne'er a hard disc in sight, etc etc.

As others are reporting, the sound quality from such a dedicated device is first-rate. It's also, once you get the hang of it, very convenient to use.

HTH

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.