Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Can these networked solutions do that?

If you're watching video from a PC/MAC, & the audio "rack" is near the TV, and you're running the TV from part of the audio system then the best answer is no, or without more complications and cost.

(quickly, for example), something like the Auraliti PK90 might work... but would be a hassle. The easiest way would be from a QNAP brand NAS drive. You may also be able to use something like a Razberry Pi, (as it has a HDMI video adapter), and some sort of video converter/protocol that would deliver video over your local area network ethernet: which I wouldn't be surprised if there is...

Your tablet would be just like a TV remote control, except you'd never need to point it at, or be in the same room as your TV.

Many people still do have their music files located on their PC/MAC's internal hard drive. Nothing wrong with that, - but it does make it tougher to SHARE those files with other devices: hence, - why people are moving to, and using NAS drives.

But if you want to keep running video concurrently with Audio, in the audio room, then you can still use Roon, (as one example), with a RoonReady Ayre endpoint. The computer will just still be on the audio rack.

I am not saying that one can't get good sound from a multifunction computer on the audio rack. I am just saying that can't achieve SOTA levels of performance without going through great expense.

No doubt home networking is getting more complicated, and, (it looks for awhile), it'll continue to. This is the "internet of things." The market is exploding now with single purpose, or two or 3 purpose, WiFi, network enabled devices.. Microwaves, door locks, thermostats, smart AC outlets, lights, refrigerators, ....

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

Edits: 05/12/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Can these networked solutions do that? - Sordidman 12:12:36 05/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.