Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

What will be obsolete tomorrow? Not your computer setup

I'm sure it's good, but things seem to be moving very fast, what will be obsolete tomorrow?

!! The previous model !!

Below is a reader comment following the article in Audiostream about the SOtM sMS-200.

I own the previous model the SMS-100, and like it a lot. It's only a few years old, and when I wrote SOtM and asked them is they might update the OS with RoonReady or any other features, they answered, no it's a dead product, you should just buy an SMS-200.

Well thanks for that.

The example above is one risk I warned about when buying a dedicated audio appliance from some manufacturers. You are at their mercy in getting support. In this case the user is told his older product will not be updated and he has to buy the newer model in order gain new features. Your computer setup for audio will have a much longer usable lifespan as it can be updated (by you) with whatever software you choose to run on it. And if you ever decide not to use your computer for audio, it can be re-purposed for other things.

I'm not saying these dedicated audio appliances aren't good. I'm just reiterating the risks with a real world example above. Sure, these devices are only a few hundred bucks but if you have to buy a new one every couple years to keep up with the latest features.... well. What about other dedicated digital music player devices that cost several thousand dollars that will not or cannot be updated by the manufacture or user?

Edits: 05/12/16 05/12/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.