Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Yes, you posted one example

Hi and thanks a lot again for the very kind and valuable advice.

" Hi Beppe, Think of it this way. There is a sender and a receiver. The (USB powered) sender takes the USB signal and converts it from powered USB to the unpowered OSI model TCP/IP packet delivery protocol. "

This is a key point. I would like a Sender that takes only the "signal portion" off the usb port and not the power, and using instead power from an external ps for its functioning.
Moreover, if i understand well Tx is the sender and Rx the receiver ?

" Then there is an (ac-Powered, 5v DC output) Receiver on the other end that converts the TCP/IP protocol to an isolated, cleaner, "new" USB signal. "

If i understand correctly the Sender converts the usb signal to TCP/IP and the Receiver convert again the TCP/IP to usb ? i have to try and listen. The fact that Ethernet connections are recommended for longer distances i guess should mean something, like a more robust signal ?

" After that, one can add their USB to SPDIF converter, - or plug directly into their USB DAC.
The advantage to this, besides getting a "new," purer, isolated, USB signal, - is that it can be plugged into any RJ45 port on your network: so you can move your DAC/stereo easily all around the home, or keep your computer in your basement, - or in your attic, - (where it belongs). "

i am much more interested to the 1st point, the quality of the signal.
But i am sure that we will see some development on this topic.
I trust Ps Audio boss completely. If he says that it sounds great it must sound really great. I understand he is talking of another kind of device but i am willing to try something cheaper in the meantime.

" Those other devices, are more like USB extenders, that change/convert the cabling to the better separated individual strands of RJ45 cable, but still keep the USB signal intact with power, to extend it. These do not have the bandwidth of the former.
I would speculate that some of these "powered" non-lan, non-gigabit, cheaper adapters would cause much harm to LAN switches that use unpowered TCP/IP...
NOTICE the warning on this Extron Extender pic above: it is not one of the more expensive devices that PS-Audio and I are talking about "

i will look for this Extron model. I have one of the cheap ones and they work but i did not listen carefully. As you say they could do more harm than good to the signal.
Thanks a lot again.

Kind regards,
bg

Edits: 04/28/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.