Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Might be better, but USB is hopelessly compromised

for audio.

I discovered this while writing to SD cards for use with the SDTrans player.

I initially used a USB writer. It was powered by the jkeny battery scheme. I then inserted a battery modded REGEN into the chain.

Though I was getting much better sound than I ever heard with the computer setup I was still hearing vestiges of the "computer sound" which I now realize is USB sound. Lack of substance and resolution in the lower midrange on down.

I was then told to try a SATA based writer and the difference in my case was substantial. I heard a tonal balance more akin to my LP setup and is actually very easy to enjoy.

In fact, for those interested in REDBOOK only as I am the SDTrans is so much better than the computer; there is no comparison. The SDTrnas can be used for higher sampling rates but I have found high sampling rate just gives you more noise. I have not listened to any "high rez" stuff on the SDTrans.

My computer setup was tweaky with battery power for MB and drives, JCAT USB cable and PCIe card along with plenty of other tricks employed. I was using WTF as my player. Not a laptop.

Will never return unless something ground shaking occurs.

Maybe it is time to return to sound cards for computer users. USB is a wonderful convenience for anything other than audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Might be better, but USB is hopelessly compromised - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 08:55:37 04/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.