Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: USB done right ?- Intona

Isn't the Recovery similer to the Regen?

The Recovery reclocks the USB signal and provides cleaner downstream power than a USB port typically provides. It is transparent to the OS and requires no drivers.

The Regen (and the Schiit Wyred) also reclock the USB signal and provide clean power but they're one-port USB hubs and thus not transparent to the OS. Though the necessary drivers are part of every OS, the devices have still to be enumerated on power up.

A possible benefit of all three devices I've not seen mentioned is that they should also provide clean power to the likes of USB-powered ADCs.

I didn't like the sound of the Wyred powering DACs (I tried a couple) but plan to see how it fares in "upstream mode". Here, though the reclocking facility is redundant, the clean power might be useful given that I've pinched the AQVOX I used to use when digitising LPs. (See above . . .)

Finally, see link for a slightly dated but clear explanation of current limiting and USB design. As ever, not as simple as one might think.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.