Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Good Bye USB Audio

>>You are comparing apples with oranges. Sorry, but can't get your point:

Of course I could have hooked up my Hifiberry DAC to an Amanero USB interface to have a more solid apple to apple, plain USB to I2S comparison for the same DAC.
But even such a setup would have had too many variables involved to come to a final conclusion.

USB is an interface, causing audible trouble all the times.
I guess you didn't miss thousands of related discussions over here
and elsewhere for the last decade.

I compare my current project - a system with PI2+I2S-DAC - to my former reference setup, which happened to be a PI2+USB-DAC.

For now - I slightly favor my I2S solution, where the actual DAC should be in a range far below my Pro Audio device.

If I take out the USB related modifications, things even get worse for the USB-DAC solution.

I'm running USB DACs for around a decade by now. And I always loved that "simplicity" of USB. I never loved the associated flaws connected that "simplicity" though.

>>OK, but what can be more simple then USB DAC in computer audio?

It depends what you expect from computer audio or better from your audio system.
Things quickly get more complex, sometimes much more complex then certain simplicity implies. USB-Audio related flaws havn't been resolved within the last 10 years. It takes huge efforts to tackle the issues. Simplicity looks different to me.

Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

blog latest >> The Audio Streaming Series - tuning kit pCP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Good Bye USB Audio - soundchekk 05:26:49 02/05/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.