Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How is Archimago's equipment not "up to the task"...

The only way to remove ringing added by the anti-aliasing filter at the front end of the chain is to make the cutoff frequency of the reconstruction filter lower than the anti-aliasing filter.

Anyway, looking at the impulse response of a reconstruction filter is misleading because an impulse is an impossible signal. The digital signal being converted by the DAC is necessarily band limited prior to and during A/D so it can't be an impulse.

Note that if the signal contains no (or at least very little) spectral content at or above the cutoff frequency of a brick wall filter, the filter will not add ringing. That condition is nearly impossible to satisfy with 44.1 KHz sampling, but fairly easy to satisfy at 88.2 KHz and above.

So the issues with hard band limiting at 20 KHz don't apply to high sample rates. And since MQA is designed to be an efficient container for high sample rate recordings, I can't see the justification for introducing a FR roll-off equivalent to 10m of air in order to obtain a visually appealing impulse response. This would not be an improvement IMO.

I think MQA is trying to be too many things at once. I like the idea behind the packing method. But I'm not happy it's tangled up with a scheme to license Meridian tech at both ends of the chain, on a basis that is technically questionable, and backed by a marketing campaign that is confusing and in part misleading.

Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I have a feeling that Meridian is being intentionally vague so they can't be pinned down.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How is Archimago's equipment not "up to the task"... - Dave_K 14:18:45 02/02/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.