Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: LightSpeed Revive

First of the USB "decrapifiers" (as Schiit says) to use USB Type C, I'll give them that much.

But why USB-C? Are there other laptops on the market that use it now that Apple led the way last year with their new ultra-thin MacBook?

Also seemingly first to push battery power as the preferred means of power injection.

My DAC uses it's own internally generated 'clean 5v' for it's USB receiver so the 'clean 5v' feature of the various USB regenerators on the market wouldn't be beneficial in my case.

But I do wonder how they achieve 5v of battery derived power. Do they provide a battery with greater than 5v output then regulate it down with a linear regulator -or- do they run a typical 3.3v - 3.7v lithium ion battery and use a switching boost converter IC, which is basically a noisy switching power supply? All those cheap USB backup batteries/chargers do the latter.

...there's still something to be said for galvanic isolation, which I think this, like the others, is also not providing.

Some DACs are designed with galvanic isolation 'built-in'. I know mine is isolated optically.

That's not to say the regenerated USB signal itself might not be beneficial, as some have reported.

Edits: 02/01/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: LightSpeed Revive - AbeCollins 07:43:12 02/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.