Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How is Archimago's equipment not "up to the task"...

As I understand MQA, perhaps incompletely or inaccurately, the corrections it applies are in the time domain, mainly as a result of apodizing filters in the a-d and the d-a, including those DACsin current pre-MQA Meridian players. These filter ringing issues are visually verifiable now. I have seen enough scope traces in reviews, etc. to understand the high frequency pre- and post-ringing that occur both in the recording itself from the a-d and in the DAC from the d-a. Those scope traces are abundant, as are those showing improvement as the result of apodizing d-a filters.

I believe it is possible for MQA processing of the recording to apodize and to clean up that ringing in the recording, provided the a-d filter characteristics are known. When played back on a non-MQA DAC, this can still provide an audible advantage, though the non-apodized d-a will introduce its own pre/post ringing. When played via an MQA DAC, apodizing also reduces pre/post-ringing from the d-a. Possibly, my understanding is oversimplified.

The point is, scope traces, which are measurements, ought to be able to show these improvements. I have not seen them yet for MQA. But, I believe we will someday. I also tend to believe, for now, in the potential audible advantages of the apodized filter approach.

The major problem to me is not the theory of MQA, though, like many, I do not claim to fully understand it yet. The problem is with the timing of public announcements, the limited amount of technical information they contain, wide availability of good comparative A-B listening auditions, etc. The roll out process seems to have jumped the gun as far as we consumers are concerned, with many negative opinions so far, based on too little actual evidence.

Perhaps Meridian were seeking only to offer enough to first be able to bring Tidal, etc. into the fold as major sources of MQA encoded material, apparently with some success. They wanted to do this first before making a major investment in mass producing chipsets and software for the mass market. That might be prudent from a business standpoint.

But, we consumers are left with only teasers, resulting in speculation, skepticism or downright antagonism to this new, but not yet fully understood, technology. What we have mainly are raves only by audio gurus, whose objectivity might be questionable. To many, that sounds like hype. But, even audio gurus are not always wrong.

Time will tell. My mind is still open.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.