Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: RRE: "the sound of the hall before the first note was played"?

It might be believable if the original performance was a recording of a live performance. Once can tell a lot about the venue acoustics by listening to "room tone" especially if it is created by individual people. In some live performance recordings one can hear the conductor walk up to the podium, etc...

I'm generally interested more in the musical performance than the recording. Generally speaking, by the time the first three or four notes have been played it is pretty obvious whether the performance and recording are going to be good. (At live concerts at the BSO in the past this might not have been the case, because sometimes the brass players were drunk and if they weren't scored in the first few bars this situation would't be immediately apparent by listening. However, sometimes this condition was apparent visually.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.