Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "What does any of that have to do with musical enjoyment?"

Peter McGrath, who works for Wilson, and apparently a classical recording engineer, and is being quoted by at least half a dozen audio writers to back up their MQA hoopla had the following to say back Feb. of 2015:

TAS: Are you partial to analog or digital?

PM: I was always a big analog fanatic and at the end of the day most of what you're hearing is still analog. What we're really debating is what is the storage medium of choice. It starts perhaps in digital but as soon as you convert that digital data to the highest-quality analog, it's analog all the way through. I'm not a big fan of digital processing per se. I feel you're better off getting things out of the digital domain as fast as possible into the analog, and then deriving the benefits from there.

TAS: You have thoughts on formats like double-DSD and DXD?

PM: Indeed I have, and you can hear differences in all of them, but if the engineer used good microphones and minimum processing even standard CDs can sound very much like music. What sounds horrible are bad microphones, bad processing, too much compression, too much manipulation of the data.

Note:

"I'm not a big fan of digital processing per se. I feel you're better off getting things out of the digital domain as fast as possible into the analog, and then deriving the benefits from there."

"if the engineer used good microphones and minimum processing even standard CDs can sound very much like music.What sounds horrible are bad microphones, bad processing, too much compression, too much manipulation of the data."

Wow, it seems he found MQA religion and DSP/processing is no longer bad.

Edits: 01/24/16 01/24/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "What does any of that have to do with musical enjoyment?" - Isaak J. Garvey 12:35:35 01/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.