Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You're not stuck with the Auralic app

The Lumin app has the standard icon grid view displaying album covers which you can scroll or flick through, or you can use the alphabetical shortcuts that pop up when you start scrolling. It also has a list view with small album cover icons, and a list view that also includes the songs in each album. You can sort by genre, artist, album title, song title. And search. The other two apps I mentioned have similar interfaces.

I have a bunch of different players. A Linn Akurate DS in my main stereo system, and a Linn Majik DS in my HT system. I got the Majik over 5 years ago when I was moving to Australia for work and didn't want to move a library of discs. It's what got me hooked on streaming. I also have an Oppo 103 and a Marantz AV8801 in the HT system which are DLNA renderers but I don't usually use their streaming capabilities for music. The other DLNA renderers are a Pioneer N-50 which was previously in my HT and now used for the outdoor speakers, and a Pioneer SMA3 portable speaker, which is wireless, weatherproof, and rechargeable.

The Linn streamers support OpenHome, the others do not. So I use BubbleUPnP server installed on my NAS to turn the vanilla DLNA 1.5 renderers into OpenHome renderers, so that all my players work basically the same way.

Regarding storage, I've been a home NAS proponent since 2008 or 2009. I started with a cheap single drive NAS as a proof of concept, and then moved up to a HP EX495 in 2010 which I absolutely loved. This year, I replaced it with a new mini-ITX home server build and I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials for the OS and Twonky Server for DLNA. I'm using storage pools and the main pool is 24TB which stores all my music, all of our family photos and videos, all of our important documents and files from the last 20 years, and all our DVDs (but not Blu-Rays). All data is duplicated in the pool (a copy of every file exists on 2 physical drives). I keep local and offsite backups of everything but the DVDs.

We also use DLNA for streaming photos and videos around the house. Mainly we access them via a couple of Rokus in the HT and bedroom, occasionally via the Oppo, and via an old Phillips streamer we picked up in Australia connected to a portable TV.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You're not stuck with the Auralic app - Dave_K 13:53:21 11/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.