Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Auralic Aries Mini Streamer

I borrowed an Aries for a few days.

The sound quality was appreciably better than my MacMini, - with what I'd describe as faster, smoother, more lifelike bass response in the low mids and upper bass area. I did notice that sometimes that it was a bit hot in the lower treble region that seemed to overemphasize a singer's "S's"

The noise floor was a lot lower than the Macmini. And most of the folks who heard it were non-audiophiles and they were in agreement about the improved SQ. However, - it's plastic, - the display is just ugly and not defeatable. I experienced start up issues that others have had. No LDS software for Iphone or Android....

I buy for sound quality, - so I wouldn't be unhappy buying it. But I promised myself that I would research-to-death my next purchase.

My criticisms of the Aries Mini are not based on listening, and therefore, just speculative... First they put a DAC in it. All the connectors are junk, no offer of a better PSU. Using cheaper hardware to make up for adding software, especially when the software isn't that great, is a bad move. IMO Tidal sucks, & it's a super bad call to force it upon people....

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

Edits: 11/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.