Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I intend to buy one when they actually become available for real

Thanks for the additional detail. I like the Auralic feature set too especially the integration with Tidal, but one of my concerns is the robustness of the control point App (on iPad in my case) and how well polished it might be. I'd hate to get the Auralic only to find the App to be an after thought clunker.

I have 2 Apple TV boxes in our home that do a great job of sharing my local Music content over Ethernet or Wifi from my Mac Mini (by turning ON iTunes Sharing), and it also has support for Panadora built-in. I can stream Spotify as well but that has to be done via AirPlay. These little black Apple TV boxes are a mere $69 each and the user interface is clean and polished, and they're fine especially in secondary audio systems.

The Apple TV downside vs Auralic Mini for audio:

- Supports up to 16/48 uncompressed or lossless but not 'hi-res'. But will down sample 'hi-res' content so it will at least play. Does not support DSD but I have so little DSD content and have no plans for more.

- No integration with Tidal.

- Requires an external DAC (or AV receiver) via Toslink or HDMI.

I'm trying to justify the Auralic Aries Mini at $549 which seems rather steep, but with a year of Tidal maybe not so bad. And I'll be able to play around with how it performs on my 'hi-res' files.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.