Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Your Mac Mini supports up to 8GB of RAM

...catastrophic failures prevailed with the attempts to upgrade to 8GB

Never heard of such a thing, unless the memory was not the right type, the EFI Firmware was old, the memory was installed incorrectly, or the system was somehow fat fingered and botched up during the installation process.

I've used memory from OWC Mac Sales in the past because they thoroughly test to ensure that the memory they sell is fully compatible with the Mac model being upgraded. They charge a few bucks more but it's worth it IMHO.

I have Macs with memory that I have upgraded beyond what Apple sells and they work perfectly fine. If your Mini was under warranty I can understand the hesitation but it's a 2009 model.

If you feel squeamish about doing it yourself, you might ask your tech about it and have him do it. The additional RAM will open up new possibilities especially with players like Pure Music, Audirvana Plus, Amarra, HQPlayer, and others. The additional memory also allows you to allocate more to the "memory play" feature in Audirvana Plus and others.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.