Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I was using an early version of 10

for a music only OS when I was using JPlay.

I think the best way to use 10 for audio is to get a copy of NTLite and remove as many features as you can and still get it to install. I got mine down to about a third of its usual installed size. But I did not get there with NTLite alone.

One should not have 10 connected to the internet at all for serious audio use and once you have done the above it won't work with the internet, anyway.

I found it to make a very worthwhile difference.

I went beyond that and eventually got it down to 600 mB. Almost nothing left in the WINSXS folder and the folder that holds all of the 32 bits files was seriously vacated.

There are hundreds of .dlls that have nothing to do with basic OS operations but I spent hundreds of hours getting there.

My efforts can to a halt when I was given the chance to use a LINUX based player that is under development and is so far beyond JPlay and WINDOWS that I felt like my time spent with WINDOWS had been stolen from me.

This player is music only but one can still use the computer with other OSs if desired. One can load it with a USB drive but I find t sounds better using a SATADOM and turning all USB jacks off. Use a PCIe card for USB output and a PS2 jack for the keyboard. No need for a mouse and no way to use one. Just connect up your regular OS HDD when you want to use the computer for other things though I strongly think a computer needs to be single purpose. To use it for other purposes would require going into BIOS to enable the USB jacks among other things.

There is something good about loading the OS each time you use the player.

SO if you want a single purpose player for highest possible quality wait patiently. WINDOWS is fine for general use, as is the APPLE OS, but much too clogged up for high quality audio.

Wish I could point to a link for this player NOW but there is not one, yet. You can be assured when it becomes available I will let it be known.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.