Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Agree, too

All of that new digital speed, as has been pointed out by Todd Kreiger so many times, is not all wonderful.

AS with all things kooky audio there is a trade-off - you probably will get higher resolution, though of greatly diminishing returns, at the cost of much more digital noise intertwined with the signal you want.

Whether this can be removed remains to be heard. Once one hears this noise one can no longer ignore it. I have to believe many simply do not notice it and that's fine but as Pearson pointed out many years ago there is something fundamentally different with digital noise. Record noise and tape hiss, etc, we seem better able to separate from the signal, both with our brains and by the nature of the system but digital noise is endemic and literally, indelibly mixed into the signal.

The higher sample rates only increase the quantity of this, though it is shifted upwards, it is there in proportion. One of those cases where more is not better.

Not to say digital music cannot be enjoyed. Again, another famous Pearsonism, "one can enjoy listening to digital music as long as they do not listen to analog". Things have improved since then but there is still much truth in that statement.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.