Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: HD problem

It sounds like your source HD may have failed mid-way through your backup process.

- Does the backup HD work and contain all of your music? I know your backup said 50% done but depending on the type of backup performed, previous content may still reside on the backup disk with only new content being backed up.

- You also said that your main HD LED shows that it is getting power but this is no guarantee that the power supply is good. Do you have another power supply you can try on your HD? How about using the power supply from your backup disk on your main disk? If you do not have another compatible power supply I would consider getting one to try.

Do you have a 2nd backup disk? I keep more than one backup around.

- Recovering data off a failed HD is no easy task. If it's the controller board mounted under the drive, you can sometimes swap it with a good controller board from another identical disk. Otherwise, there are data recovery services that can get your data off the platters but if you had a disk crash not all of your data will be recoverable. And those services can be very costly, mostly used by businesses that have critical data to recover, not a music collection.

Edits: 09/23/15 09/23/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.