Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks for the review, & postings: question

Thanks for the explanation.....

But a "DAC" is still a DAC if it uses USB, SPDIF, AES, all in the same device.
Indeed we have seen issues where the "not so great" implementation of USB sounds way worse than SPDIF. In the case of an external USB to SPDIF converter, we've seen varying degrees in SQ depending on device philosophy/configuration.

""There is a digital storage device.""

Yes, sometimes it's the same as the "player" software processing the digital file to be played back. Sometimes that digital storage device is an external hard drive or NAS: a container.

Because the computer is a different "type" of transport, doesn't mean that it's not a transport: it still sends the digital signal to the DAC to be processed.

""However, if the DAC is sensitive to its transport it shows that the DAC is not properly acting as digital to analog converter.""

The only way that that can be the case is with a partial or complete failure of DAC output to amplification. Clearly not the case, when a DAC performs better with it's AES input then it does with its USB.

What seems to me to make the above even more incorrect is that all DACs vary in sound quality whenever different USB ports are used on some USB buses: even well designed DACs. Or all DACs sound worse with ITUNES than they do with JPLAY. If the fault was in the DAC, (and not the quality of the waveform/signal it receives), then why does player software vary even on good DACs?

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.